GAZA, PALESTINOW.COM — Two Palestinian children passed away, and another child and the father were injured in a house fire southern Gaza Strip.
According to the Palestinian Ministry of Health, five-year-old Aysha Subeihi and her two-year-old sister Elin died in a tragic house fire in Rafah city, southern Gaza Strip, predawn today.
The father Mohammed Subeihi was moderately injured, and a third daughter has severe burns. They have been transferred to the hospital to receive medical treatment.
The police in Gaza have started an investigation to find out the reasons behind the fire.
It is thought that power shortage and electricity cuts, a crisis that broke out since the Israeli blockade began in 2006, play an essential role in such tragic events in Gaza.
Due to the severe financial crisis, especially after the nonstop salary cuts by the PA, many families in Gaza can’t afford proper alternatives to electricity. They have to use fires or candles to stay warm and provide light.
At least 32 people, including 25 children, died due to fires caused by candles that they were forced to light, or fuel generators exploding, according to a study by Al-Mezan Centre for Human Rights in October 2018.